Saturday, November 7, 2015

What is your favorite subject?

Do you remember your favorite subject in 2nd grade? I would guess that mine was music. My teacher loved to play the piano and his class was more than willing to sing about the headless horseman or one of the many Christmas songs we knew. I know that math was NOT my favorite, by far. Math was boring page after page of math facts. With this in mind, I was surprised when I overheard my class discussing their favorite subject. The majority of the 2nd graders favored math. At first, I attributed this to the class correcting their papers together in small groups. That may be part of it, but I think the game Sumdog has had an effect on their motivation, too. This class has learned their math facts quite quick. Lately, the new material presented is greeted with comments of "oh, yeah I've done this on Sumdog" Have you tried out the free version? Our class is using the subscription version this year. If you have it, how do you use the teacher dashboard?

No comments:

Post a Comment